Mel Foster Insurance, a local, independent insurance agency announces that March 12 – 16 is National Flood Safety Awareness Week. This week is intended to highlight for individuals, families, businesses and communities the many ways floods can occur, the hazards associated with floods, and what you can do to save life and property.
Floods can happen at any time, and especially with the Mississippi River located right in our community. Floods can occur when too much rain falls or snow melts too quickly. There are simple steps individuals can take to reduce their risk of a flood.
Mel Foster Insurance offers these tips to prepare for a flood.
- Develop an emergency kit that has insurance documents, medications and important items in case you need to evacuate your home.
- Keep drains, gutters and downspouts clear of debris.
- Inspect sump pumps and drains regularly to ensure proper operation.
- To prevent sewage backup, have a licensed plumber install an interior or exterior backflow valve.
- Make sure your yard’s grading (slope) directs water away from the home.
- If your home is located in a flood area, elevate the furnace, water heater and electrical panel.
Standard home owners insurance does not cover floods, so contact a Mel Foster Insurance agent to learn about flood insurance options or to save money on your current flood insurance.